Not K2 approved but you have to be bad some of the time. From Erica...
I hesitated to share my recipe for Big Honkin’ Oatmeal Cookies with Kathleen, because I was innocently reading the paper one day and saw an article on the First Lady’s favorite cookies versus Theresa Heinz Kerry’s. Theresa’s were a refined pumpkin cookie (kind of a snore but what can you do.)
Laura’s recipe, on the other hand, was almost a dead ringer for mine! I grew pale and had to sit for a moment. But I realized that in the end mine were a much more sincere, well-rounded and articulate cookie, since I used more oats, walnuts, and whole wheat instead of white flour, and absolutely no Weapons of Mass Destruction.
So enjoy, and don’t forget to vote!!
Big Honkin’ Oatmeal Cookies
1 cup (2 sticks) butter
1 ¼ cup brown sugar
1 Tablespoon vanilla
1 ½ cups whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon each cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice
3 cups old fashioned, uncooked oatmeal
1 cup raisins
1 cup chopped walnuts
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
½ cup milk
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Melt butter for 30 seconds in micro, combine with sugar until creamy.
3. Add eggs, beat well.
4. Add combined flour, baking soda, spices, mix well.
5. Stir in oats, raisins, nuts, chocolate chips.
6. Add milk as needed if mixture is too dry.
7. Drop by rounded tablespoons onto greased cookie sheet.
8. Bake 10-12 minutes.
Makes a LOT, aprox 3-4 dozen.